Prior to hiring any person to work with a loved one it is vital that you
check their references and this is step five on our list. If you would
rather check the references of a caregiver before meeting with them,
this is not only appropriate but can also save you time. Each of our
caregiver profiles contain the contact details of 2 references so make
sure you speak to each of them personally. You should expect these
references to be previous employers and not friends or family members.
You might want to ask the referees:
- When did she begin work with your family and in what capacity?
As a nurse? As a support worker?
- How long did she work for?
- What were the reasons for her departure?
- What were her responsibilities?
- What were her strengths/ weaknesses?
- Is there anything that you would praise/ critique about her work
- Would you recommend her?
Depending on the answers you receive you can decide whether to
proceed to the next stage, the face to face interview.